Topicbox can absolutely function as a replacement for your listserve or mailing list, whether it's hosted on a Mailman or majordomo install, or you use a listserve service like Google Groups or Yahoo Groups.
We think Topicbox is better than a listserve for organizations with more than one listserve (what we call a group.) Most listserves are centered around the idea of the group, and Topicbox is centered around the idea of the organization.
Topicbox makes it easier for administrators to:
- get an overview of all the groups they manage
- see all a member's groups and settings in one place
- treat members as "trusted"
Trusted members can:
- create new groups
- see a list of available groups to join
- see who is a member of a group
All members should find it easier to:
- skim messages across all their groups (in the News Center)
- search groups
- manage high-volume groups (with a single Daily Summary instead of a digest for every group)